Saturday, February 2, 2013

17th August 2012

We didn't manage to hitch a flight, as both were full, but it seems possible. Finally it appeared there was a ferry from Maumere to Kupang. We had to wait a few hours - instead of 5pm as we were told it arrived at midnight, and left at 3am, but we managed to get a free lift thanks to a  very nice lady at the port. We've been waiting for a few hours first at the airport, then for the ferry, basically we've been waiting all day. I was trying to be relaxed, but there was some pressure "will we manage", and I felt very tired in the end. However my knowledge of Indonesian gave me some confidence.
It's the first passenger ferry we've hitch-hicked, other ones carried cars as well, were smaller, and operated on daily or hourly basis. It's huge, reminded us of India. Crowds, people sleeping everywhere and incredibly dirty. Just 15 hours and we made it to Timor -Kupang. Before we got on that ferry there was another on, but going to Sulawesi (the journey would take 36 hours). It was tempting to get on it, although it's the wrong direction. I have a feeling that the journey is coming to an end (we'll see if it is so, the Timor island is close, but it might take some time to get across). Although there has been a longing in me to settle down somewhere for a while, it will be a pity to leave Indonesia. The range of things which I would consider as possible is much broader now. Especially in Indonesia, everyone is helpful here, even -or maybe especially- the police, it happened to sleep on a police station, or that they organized us a sleeping place, shared their food or drink. I have a feeling that my skin coloure gives us an advantage. Apart from being taller from a common Indonesian and having trouble with finding the right shoe-size, I feel treated as someone better. I don't feel comfortable with that, but that's the way things are here, white people have respect, especially here, but I think this applies to other countries as well, that thing are easier because we are from Europe.
A reflection regarding hitch-hicking - sometimes one arrives in a new country and wanders "what's it gonna be like" looks for information in internet, and it's difficult to get these information. I have a feeling, that everything (almost) is possible, however in most places in Asia it's advisable to make sure we're travelling for free. I've heard stories about Australia, that hitch-hicking is illegal there, until I met people who have been traveling there in this fashion, and I know now it's no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment