Friday, January 17, 2014

5th August 2013

Gili Air Island, Indonesia. Three weeks ago I boarded a flight from Darwin to Bali (no hitch-hiking). Surprising how quickly I got used to a different culture. After landing in Bali I experienced a culture shock, when all these taxi or motorbike drivers tried to sell their services. What was completely surprising for me - I instantly started missing Australia. And I started to understand (a little) people fearing travelling.
From Adelaide I went northwards towards Alice Springs. I stopped in a few places, amongst them was Coober Pedy, the Opal mining town. People live there in mining shafts of course arranged as houses. Upon arriving in Alice Springs I found a job on a nearby cattle station (that is 140km away). The job - mustering cattle (generally on 4WD), drafting, branding, etc. etc. then walking the cattle back to the fields and eventually trucking the ones we were going to sell. It was also interesting to meet a different people - the "bushies" people from the bush, farmers. Other than that although here it was a little different, generally the aborigines have a bad reputation. Unfortunately it seems they've earned it because of the alcoholism and other social problems. It's a complicated issue, which starts from the common unemployment, while a return to their original way of life does not really seem possible. The government is trying to help supplying them and several institutions with money, but it does not solve the problem.
On the cattle station I just stayed for 6 weeks. I figured solving my dental problems would be cheaper in Indonesia, as well as my coming birthday inspired me to treat  myself with a birthday present. I love this ountry. I have taken the opportunity to meet some old friends. Now I am learning how to dive. Scuba diving is easy, and it seems it's easy to make it a way of life..
I am happy I came to Indonesia at the time of Ramadhan. For a while I managed to keep up the fasting with the muslims. Finally because of diving I had to give up. 
In a week I'm going to Australia. When I was working on the cattle station I did not have a way to spend my money. Now I've started travelling again, I'm surprised how fast the money is running out despite the fact, that I'm usually still hitch-hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment